First, we go to nursery, and we learn by playing. We pick up how to hold a pencil, how to conduct ourselves in a social situation, what colors are called what and how to write our name. Then we go through school, learn of the world, learn politics, geography, sciences, math, English and who we are. Then we head off, into more significant decisions, ones that will impact our lives (we hope for the better), and gain in-depth knowledge of something. Eventually, the years will pay off, and we will get the job of our dreams. And, the truth is it doesn’t matter if you dreamed of being the highest qualified hair stylist, or a geophysicist – all that matters is that lifelong yearning to learn. The chances are if you loved your learning experiences during those formative years you probably still love it. But, if you are in doubt, there are some reasons you should be nourishing that need to learn.
- Building new skills and knowledge. You might have a job that you adore, and really you are happy with it too. But, what comes next? While you are delighted currently, in a year or two perhaps you want to apply for a promotion, or move companies. The more knowledge and skills you’ve built between now and then the better.
- You could learn a new hobby. Hobbies are the perfect meeting of new skills, meeting relaxation time. Even if your job isn’t particularly difficult or demanding, unwinding by playing an instrument, cooking or sewing lets the brain turn itself down a notch and get creative. Depending on the hobby you might’ve just introduced a learning path that can stay with you for life too. This one comes under self-care – bonus.
- Personal development. When you are learning, you are adding new and exciting facets to your personality. When we learn new things about ourselves and the world, we mature and grow as a person.
- Trying things introduces you to new people and new places, by signing up for courses at places like Training Connection you widen your professional and personal networks.
- Keeping your mind sharp. Over the years we can get trained in doing the same thing day in and day out, and it would be hard to say that that isn’t boring and slows us down. When we don’t have to think, we switch on autopilot. By choosing to keep learning, you keep your best muscle active.
- Once you are out of the college learning environment, new students are going through the same courses after you with more up to date information and techniques, in order to remain relevant in your profession and ahead of the crowd, it pays to keep training and learning.
Hey, you never know. You might get halfway through a course and decide that you want to make a complete career swap – exciting!
There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning. – Jiddu Krishnamurti
*Featured image is a stock image**